The Bhramari pranayama breathing technique derives its name from the black Indian bee called Bhramari. Bhramari pranayama is effective in instantly calming down the mind. It is one of the best breathing exercises to free the mind of agitation, frustration or anxiety and get rid of anger to a great extent. A simple technique, it can be practiced anywhere - at work or home and is an instant option to de-stress yourself.
The exhalation in this pranayama resembles the typical humming sound of a bee, which explains why it is named so.
- Sit up straight in a quiet, well ventilated corner with your eyes closed. Keep a gentle smile on your face
- Keep your eyes closed for some time. Observe the sensations in the body and the quietness within
- Place your index fingers on your ears. There is a cartilage between your cheek and ear. Place your index fingers on the cartilage
- Take a deep breath in and as you breathe out, gently press the cartilage. You can keep the cartilage pressed or press it in and out with your fingers, while making a loud humming sound like a bee
- You can also make a low-pitched sound but it is a good idea to make a high-pitched one for better results
- Breathe in again and continue the same pattern 3-4 times.